I made this citrus & arugula salad for dinner last night. This winter in particular I have become just slightly obsessed with red grapefruit and wholeheartedly consider it my favorite food right now. I have always like all the foods, so don’t really know how or why this came about, but every time I taste red grapefruit lately I hear myself saying aloud “this is the best thing I have ever tasted”. Maybe I’m vitamin C deficient and my body is taking over my taste buds?? Either way, I’m so happy to share this easy and wildly delicious recipe with you for Citrus & Arugula Salad.
I just made one big platter of this and we ate this for our entire dinner. I added prosciutto de parma and with the bright citrus, creamy goat cheese, hint of balsamic, peppery arugula, well I can’t wait for you to experience it for yourself.
2 blood oranges (or navel)
1 ruby red grapefruit
2 T. aged balsamic vinegar
¼ c. extra virgin olive oil
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
¼ c. goat cheese
4-6 slices of prosciutto de parma (optional)
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Peel the citrus with a knife. using a sharp knife, cut both ends off the fruit. sitting a flat side down on a cutting board, cut away the rind following the curve of the fruit. Save the pieces of rind.
- Then slice the fruit into rounds, picking off seeds if you see any. arrange slices of orange and grapefruit on large salad platter.
- Squeeze the pieces of saved rind to let any remaining juice fall in to a large salad bowl.
- Add balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add onions and arugula to bowl. gently toss with your hands.
- Check seasoning and add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Crumble goat cheese on top and/or arrange prosciutto along the side if using.
Component in Action
-enjoy as a side salad or complete dinner.
-add grilled chicken, fish or shrimp.
-try with other cheeses too like parmesan or blue cheese.
-add other vegetables to the salad like raw shavings or grilled asparagus, sweet corn in the summer or avocado.