It’s true. Corn tortillas are one of the easiest things to just pick up in the grocery store. They are cheap, you can find them pretty much anywhere, and they all taste pretty good when filled with your favorite taco fillings. But here’s the thing. Tortillas hot off the pan, made in your own kitchen are SO GOOD. And you don’t need anything special to make them except maybe a margarita to sip on and some good music to dance to.
Certain recipes just lend themselves well to including the kids and this is one of them. The actual cooking of the tortillas takes just a few minutes total. The bulk of this simple recipe is stirring the masa, salt and water, rolling little balls of dough, then pressing and rolling the tortillas with a rolling pin. These are all tasks that keep little minds engaged and little hands busy. So sure, it might be just easier to pick up a pack of tortillas at the store, but why not turn regular Taco Tuesday into a party? This is an easy way to do just that.
2 c. masa harina (finely ground yellow cornmeal)
generous pinch of salt
1.5-2 c. hot water
- In a bowl combine masa harina and salt.
- Slowly stir in the water until the dough is firm and springy when touched (not dry or sticky).
- Cover bowl with a damp kitchen towel and let rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat griddle or cast iron skillet to medium high heat.
- Divide dough into 2” balls.
- One at a time, press dough between two pieces of waxed or parchment paper and roll into 6” circles.
- Place flattened dough on a hot griddle and cook until the top of tortilla starts to look cooked, about a minute.
- Flip and cook the other side for another minute.
- Makes 24 tortillas.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for later use.
- When you’re ready to eat them just warm them in the oven or on the grill.
Component in Action
-fill with your favorite taco ingredients
-make breakfast tacos!
-cut cooked tortillas into wedges, brush with oil and bake in the oven until crispy to make your own chips
Free Holiday Magic!
Our FREE eBook has 12 enchanting recipes to help make your holiday season magical.