This is a soup that’s perfect for late winter and early spring. It’s warm, hearty, and full of spring flavor. If you have access to ramps, lucky you. Use them instead of scallions. The crunchy kale adds texture and a slight bitterness. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread and butter if you like. If you have a piece of Parmesan, you could pass it around and let people grate the cheese over the top. If you want to make a vegan version, just skip the eggs. This recipe for Garlic Soup with Crunchy Kale is a new favorite of ours. Enjoy!
for the crunchy kale:
1 bunch of kale, washed, dried and cut into 2” pieces
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
for the soup:
¼ c. extra virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling over kale)
1 head of garlic, cloves thinly sliced
6 scallions, sliced
2 t. smoked paprika
8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 f.
- Line a sheet tray with parchment paper, spread out kale and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook kale until crunchy, around 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely then store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and scallions to the pot, stirring frequently for around five minutes until golden brown.
- Add paprika and cook another couple minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer for around a half hour.
- Check seasoning.
- Right before serving, whisk eggs in a small bowl and whisk eggs into soup.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with crunchy kale.
Component in Action
-begin making the soup with caramelized onion and rendered bacon.
-add other greens like spinach, kale, arugula or chard towards the end of cooking.