This soup was a plan that turned into a delightful surprise. I knew I wanted to make a cauliflower soup since they are just starting to show up at markets and I knew I wanted to use coconut milk, but that was about it. Then I kind of followed the trail from one flavor to another, until I came upon a combo so delicious, I can’t wait to make this again. I had originally intended to eat this cold, but we couldn’t wait (and it was perfectly lunchtime) and it was so delicious hot, I forgot all about my plan for cold soup.
for the soup:
1 medium head of cauliflower, florets and stems cut into 1” pieces
3 garlic cloves, halved
1 can, unsweetened coconut milk
1-2” piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
water, to cover
for the salad:
4 scallions, thinly sliced
¼ c. roasted almonds, sliced or chopped
1 peach, diced
1 chile pepper (poblano, bell, jalapeno, etc.)
for the szechuan oil:
½ c. grape seed oil
3 star anise, whole
1 T. black peppercorns, whole
1 cinnamon stick, whole
¼ c. red pepper flakes
- Make the soup: In a pot add the cauliflower, garlic, coconut milk, ginger and water to cover. Simmer over medium-low heat until the cauliflower is tender. Blend until smooth in a blender.
- Make the szechuan oil: In a small dry pot add the star anise, black peppercorns and cinnamon stick. Toast for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the oil and let cook on low for around 20 minutes to infuse the flavor of the spices into the oil. Drain the oil through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl with the red pepper flakes. Let cool and store in the fridge.
- Roast the chile pepper: On a grill, over a gas grate or under the broiler, roast the pepper on all sides until charred. Transfer pepper to a bowl and cover for ten minutes to steam. Peel the skin off the pepper and remove the seeds. Now you are ready to dice the chile for the salad.
- Prepare the salad: Right before serving the soup gently combine the scallions, almonds, peach and roasted chile pepper.
- To serve the soup: Spoon a bit of salad into the bottom of each bowl. Top with the soup and drizzle with oil. Enjoy!
Free Holiday Magic!
Our FREE eBook has 12 enchanting recipes to help make your holiday season magical.